Saturday, April 28, 2012

Into the Holy Land

Reunion: These are my roommates from sophomore year, including Sarah Jane from fall, home from Jerusalem, and Brielle from winter. I love these girls. My year has been so incredible, and I owe it to these six ladies.



And here we are with our blood brothers/partners in crime/the Backstreet Boys themselves...



After careful thought, I decided to fully deactivate my facebook account while waiting for my flight at the SLC airport. This picture is proof of my total isolation from the world of social media! World without facebook?? Indeed, I am venturing into this unknown territory. Email and letters will be my only form of communication: 

rachelcarolineedwards@gmail.com

Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies
Rachel Caroline Edwards Room 305
P.O. Box 19604
Jerusalem, 91196 ISRAEL

I love getting letters in the mail. Any letters received will be greatly appreciated and senders of such will find the likelihood of receiving souvenirs greatly increased.



Here we are at JFK airport, waiting to board. One of my favorite traveling incidents happened here: As our mass of BYU students in our ultra-modest outfits filed into the gate a southern lady with short spiky blonde hair hailed us with "Here come the Mormons!!" I intentionally use two exclamation points to more fully illustrate to you the exuberant energy, enthusiasm, and, frankly, volume, radiating from this woman. She was full of questions and excitement about the Mormons. I have to admit, my first impulse was to wonder if she was a bit tipsy, but I was informed by fellow student investigators that she was not.



A already-late dinner situation took a turn for the worse when our flight left over an hour late. Thus, Jelly Bellies were my sustenance until "real food" (if we dare term in-flight food as such) became available. (Thank you Charlie!) This represents the contributions of myself and my flight buddies to the rations.

On the long plane ride to Jerusalem there were ultra orthodox Jews dressed in traditional robes and side locks, and when I went to use the restroom at one point, a different man was saying his prayers in the back. It was really cool to see the culture that I am now immersed in.



The bus ride to the Jerusalem Center For Near Eastern Studies. After a two hour wait, a five hour flight to New York, a three hour wait, a ten hour flight to Israel, customs, and baggage claim... this forty five minute bus ride was nothing. And we looked pretty good, considering!




My first halting views of the city.





My first morning at the center. Most people were waking up around 3 in the morning with jetlag, but I slept soundly through the night--even through Call to Prayer at about 4 thirty. I woke up with the sun at 5 forty five and watched the sun rise over the city from my bedroom balcony.



There are roses everywhere at the Jerusalem Center. I'm not sure why, but they are so much more beautiful than native Utah roses. Notice a rather famous dome in the background?



The Dome of the Rock from my bedroom balcony.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    That looks awesome! We wish we could be there. We love the blog. Update regularly please!

    Love

    Dave, Patti, and kids

    ReplyDelete